Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

DHCR Inspector--misconduct?

Posted by Worried on June 28, 2001 at 10:18:37:

Yesterday my apartment was inspected by the DHCR as part of an effort by the landlord to restore rent. (It was reduced because of failure to provide a required service) The DHCR inspector went in the basement with a contractor employed by the landlord. The landlord's agent wouldn't let me go into the basement.

While in the basement, I overheard a discussion between the contractor and the inspector, in which the contractor said he could do work for the inspector, gives free estimates, and could get him a "good price." I thought that was weird. After all, if the inspection is failed, the contractor will be on the hook as well as the landlord. The adequacy of the contractor's work is at issue.

When they came up from the basement I said to the inspector, "did he say he could get you a good price?" and the inspector became visibly pissed, said he might have work done by the contractor, that no money had changed hands, that the conversation was recorded--he pulled out a recorder from his shirt pocket--and that it would not affect his report. I think the word for his attitude is "belligerent."

I tried to back off (though I still felt the conversation was improper) but he remained pissed, and as he walked away he used an obscenity, referring to me.

I'm wondering what people think of this incident and how I should respond. I am worried about a prejudiced inspection report.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name