Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Don't delay!

Posted by chelsea on June 26, 2001 at 18:40:06:

In Reply to: rent hike for renovation posted by gretchen on June 26, 2001 at 12:26:10:

You really need to have a consultation with a lawyer who specializes in representing tenants in cases like yours, not a friend who may or may not be knowledgeable. Yes, labor costs are included but that shouldn't stop you from pursuing your case.

It makes no sense to wait for your neighbor's case to succeed or fail. You should either join her, or start your own case. For one thing, your cases will be stronger if your coordinate strategy and information and share expenses. Is this the case where the neighbor may have hired a notorious landlord lawyer by the name of Wenig? Or did that turn out to be the lawyer representing the landlord? Or was that a different case entirely? If that is her lawyer, don't join her case but get a lawyer who represents tenants only.

Above all, you need to act quickly. You must not risk losing out because of the four-year rule, which will almost certainly make it impossible for you to claim an overcharge after that time period. As as been noted on this forum in recent days, certain applications of that rule are under challenge, but it's very much a factor. Do not delay.

: My husband and I have been debating on suing or landlord for unfair rent hike after renovations. We were waiting for our downstairs neighbor to either fail or succeed with her suit before we proceeded.
: Talking to another friend going through the same thing, he said that labor costs are not included in the amount the landlord can claim he spent on the renovations...only materials. Is this the case? If this is true, then I think we definately have a case! We have been talking to you for a while about this...thankyou for all your help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name