Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Unreturned security deposit

Posted by Chris G on June 25, 2001 at 10:48:41:

In Reply to: Unreturned security deposit posted by cdilzell on June 23, 2001 at 15:13:56:

do a search on this site (main tenant.net page) and you should be able to find the actual laws, but last time i checked the deposit was to be returned to the tenant at the end of the lease. the LL may keep part of the deposit for repairs that are 'beyond normal wear and tear' to the apartment. i believe there is also mention that the LL should keep the deposit in an interest-bearing account and return that to the tenant as well.

it's in the vague parts of these laws that the LL's usually pull a fast one. it's hard to judge what is an acceptable amount of 'wear and tear' so LL's can make a case they need much of the deposit to fix the place up. since people usually just want to get away from a previous LL ASAP, they don't pursue the issue, and the LL ends up with most/all of the cash. i consider myself lucky when a LL just lets me use the deposit as last rent, let alone whatever interest there should be.

: Could someone please let me know what the NY State law is regarding the landlord's obligation to return security deposit. This is about an unregulated house vacated in the Finger Lakes area of NY state.
: Thanks for any help or guidance.
: CD

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name