Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

urgent help needed!

Posted by Adam on June 24, 2001 at 11:23:23:

Here's my situation:

I have been living in the same 3 bedroom rent stabilized apt. on the upper west side of Manhattan for the past 2 years. When my two roommates and I first signed the lease, I requested that my name be put on the lease along with that of my roommate. The landlord said no (although I don't have proof of this in writing unfortunately.) Now my roommate whose name is the only one on the lease is moving out and I want to stay. The landlord says I have sign a whole new lease and therefore have to pay a 20% increase in rent and also another broker's fee to the broker with whom we has a contract on his apts. (we paid one 2 years ago when we first signed the lease.)

One thing I have going in my favor is that the three of us roommates have been sending separate checks to the landlord each month for the past two years. I found something on tenant.net which says that legally an apt. for which the lease has only one name can not be shared by that primary tenant with more than one non-family member. Therefore, shouldn't the landlord not only have not denied putting my name on the lease in the first place but required it? Do I have any rights as a tenant?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name