Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: give us the names

Posted by Ronin Amano on June 23, 2001 at 02:04:22:

In Reply to: Re: give us the names posted by sd on June 08, 2001 at 19:20:36:

: Now is this a problem: 2 people own the property that I rent. Only the name of 1 person, of course the guy who ISN'T a broker at the real estate agency, is on the lease. But I know for sure now that the broker is also an owner; he is the one that I deal with all of the time and acknowledges himself as the landlord. I've never dealt with the guy who is actually on the lease. So if the broker's name isn't on the lease even though he is co-owner, would I still have a case?

You have to look at the actual deed, the DHCR filings (if any), and the Certificate of Occupancy. If your LL/ broker's name is on any one of those documents you have a good case. The lease name could be made up, or a friend, etc. Dont be surprised to find a corporation owning the property, just call the Sec of State for the officer's names in that case. Landlords in this city get away with hiding their ID all the time.

Given the generally low standards of Housing Court*, be very happy that they dont have jurisdiction over your case. Depending on what you finally plead in your complaint, you would go to either Civil or Supreme court. I suggest you consult an ethical and competent attorney to proceed....

Good luck.

Ronin

* Read my disclaimer listed elsewhere on this forum for this month for more details.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name