Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rent stabilized apt: lease renewal dates

Posted by JJ on June 22, 2001 at 07:49:06:

In Reply to: rent stabilized apt posted by dawn on June 21, 2001 at 14:15:35:

: i live in brooklyn, ny in a rent stablizied apt for the last 21 years.
: i have a 2 year lease. my mother's name was on the lease, but she passed away 1 year ago, the lease was then put in my name. today i received a letter that said, "tenants succeeded after 6/19/97" & it gave the beginning & end term of the lease which is 4/99-8/31/01. i know what that means, but what i don't know is why did he put that date, since we have been living here for over 20 years. i did call him, but he is on vacation, so i just wanted to know if i can find out what this means ahead of time.
: thanks
: dawn

The first renewal lease in your name should start at the same time your mother's renewal lease would have started. Rent stabilized leases get renewed for a 1 or 2 year term which is the tenants' choice, not the landlord's. So if her lease ended 5/30/00, your lease would start at 6/1/00 and run 1 or 2 years. NOTE: you do not need and should not sign a whole new lease: this renewal has to be made on the official DHCR lease renewal form.

Learn more about basic tenant rights and wrongs on tenant.net ,click on New York Tenant Info. Find more info in the DHCR section ( DHCR oversees rent control and rent stabilization.)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name