Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

do i fix a problem LL is responsible for in hopes i will be reimbursed later?

Posted by jane on June 20, 2001 at 15:56:49:

Brooklyn, NY
standard loft lease in a commercial building
i live there with landlord's permission

the lock to my unit is located in the elevator and broke 5 days ago. the super insists i broke it, although we both understand [to slightly different degrees] that it wore out from frequent use. he insists i must pay to have it fixed. i have not called management yet because when events like this have occured in the past[several], they say "you must do whatever the super says. i dont care if it is illegal and in violation of your lease. you can sue us later." and then they hang up. Seriously--exact words! my lease specifically states i am not responsible for the elevator. i am going to research and ultimatley fix this problem, hire a lawyer, go to small claims, etc,
but in the meantime,my question:

do i pay a locksmith to fix it NOW, acting as if i think it is what i should do and hope i will get reimbursed later thru whatever means i take? or should i wait and let my 6 roommates endure the inconvenience of taking the stairs, because the LLs might just fix it themselves or because it would seem better for my "case"?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name