Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

dhcr says the tenant has the choice ...

Posted by chelsea on June 16, 2001 at 19:25:41:

In Reply to: Landlord says only give out 1 year lease, true? posted by brenda on June 16, 2001 at 17:41:20:

DHCR fact sheets say a rent-stabilized tenant has the right to choose either a one- or two-year lease, whether it's the initial (vacancy) lease or a renewal. See fact sheets below.

Practically speaking, however, if it's the initial lease, it might be better to just take the one-year lease and raise the issue on the first renewal.

#5 - Vacancy Leases in Rent Stabilized Apartments

When a person rents a rent stabilized apartment for the first time, the owner and the tenant sign a VACANCY LEASE. This written
lease is a contract between the owner and the tenant which states the terms and conditions of the lease, including the length of the
lease, and the rights and responsibilities of the tenant and the owner.

The Rent Stabilization Law gives the new tenant (also called the vacancy tenant) the choice of a one-or two-year lease term....

#4 - Lease Renewal in Rent Stabilized Apartments

Tenants in rent stabilized apartments have the right to select a lease renewal for a one or two year term .....

Chelsea

: I just wanted to know if the landlord has the right to only give out 1 year leases. I asked for a 2 year one but he refused. I live in Manhattan, Washington Heights/Inwood, a prewar building and my apartment should be rent stabilized and registered at the DCHR, the bulding has 15 apartments all for rent. Thanks for all your help!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name