Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: security deposit

Posted by Ace on June 14, 2001 at 14:59:53:

In Reply to: security deposit posted by paintball girl on June 12, 2001 at 18:51:56:

Rule of thumb -- always cover your butt. You went through the apt. at night, no electricity. You should have had a video camera or a witness with you or a camera to show that you showed him the place. Otherwise it's your word against his if you don't have any proof of evidence.

Get something in writing, notarized signed and dated from previous LL and make a copy and send it to LL, with a short polite note asking for your security back within 10 days. No answer, then go to court.

: I recently moved out of my apartment may 31, 01, i cleaned the apt thoroughly.. my landlord made no effort to make arrangements to get the keys so i had to call him. during my stay there he used my water on the outside of the house at my expense as well as the electricity in the garage to which i had no access.., but he allowed me to deduct 20 a monthe from rent to cover the costs (he purchased the house in 7-00, and he lives in the other side of the house) any ways i finally got ahold of him 5-31, at about 9 pm to give him the keys, i had the electric off because i didn't trust him. i met him there and i had brought a flashlight so we could walk through the house, we went in and i asked him where he wanted to start and he said no, thats ok my girlfriend went though and said everything s fine, i said are you sure? he said yes, i said ok then i will give you my mailing address so that you can mail my deposit back to me, he said ok. well i hadn't heard back from him as of 6-7 so i called and he said he hadn't been to the bank yet , then threw in 'theres problems with the apartment,' i said what do you mean, he was very vague, then said i can't talk, i said fine call me tommorrow, he did not, i called on 6-9 and he proceded to tell me the carpet was worn, (carpet was 12 yrs old) the apt needed painting(i thought that the landlord did that for the new tenant) and there was a hole (size smaller) than that of a baseball from door knob behind a door that was there when i rented the apt from the landlord who owned the house earlier, i said what am i getting back from my deposit he said ' none', he saw the house last year before he purchased it,and again when he showed it to a prospective new tenant, carpet was same way, hole was still there, and there was some slightly chipped paint in the stairway, but after i moved out, i painted that area. when he bought house about 7-00 he and i did not have any written agreement, the previous landlord gave him my security deposit, i have pictures of the living room where the carpet was , but i think he is talking about where the carpet was getting old by door entrances and wearing away,and on the stairs, i have pictures of the stairwell but not exactly of the corners, i think he's talking about, he will not give me a detailed list of the costs, and is claiming that the new carpet cost him 600.00, i called the old landlord and he told me the carpet was 12 yrs old, and i reminded him of the hole behind the door,and he agreed, should i get a notarized statement from him for small claims court, because i believe i should get my deposit back, this has never happened with my last landlord...............HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name