Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: month-by-month deal

Posted by Zepher on June 11, 2001 at 21:44:37:

In Reply to: month-by-month deal posted by Paul Eluard on June 11, 2001 at 17:52:37:

:: When my lease was about to expire, and when I asked the landlord to renew th lease, he responded by saying
:: it's fine for him to go month-by-month.

Guess what - month by month means that either you or him can end tenancy on a month's notice.

::Now he is asking me to move out after July without no particular reason than he wants to renovate the unit.

Well, there's your reason. In fact, he didn't even have to give you a reason.

:: Is this legal?

Yes.

:: What are my recourses?

Well, you can move elsewhere...

:: Do I just stay and have him take me to the housing court to evict me?

Sure, if you want to have the judge and sheriff's marshall decide when you move, if you want your things thrown into storage, if you want a judgement filed against you, if you want to have difficulty renting future apartments. If this is what you want then yes, go ahead and get evicted.

:: Also I noticed that the building hasn't been inspected since 1988. Should I call the building dept?

Now that you must move in a few short weeks you take a sudden interest in your apartment's condition. Too bad you didn't inquire about the inspection before you moved in. But go ahead and waste your time with the building department, it's not like you have anything better to do here.

:: Can anyone help?
Sometimes knowing what NOT to do is more helpful than be told what you SHOULD do.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name