Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

access to electricity running only at 1/2 capacity

Posted by sawbones on June 11, 2001 at 13:14:08:

Since January, the electricity in the building was running 1/2 of it's capacity due to some work done by Con-Edison to the main-line in the street. The LL knew about this since then and informed us not to use any AC - and therefore anything electricity intensive - or it will blow-out the electricity in the building. Up 'til now, I didn't make much fuss out of the situation, hopeing that it will get resolved by the LL a.s.a.p. That was January; it's now June and the problem has not been fixed. I've talked to the LL about this and there's the constant excuse of how impossible it was to get Con-Ed to come to the building to fix it. Apparently, there's asbestos on one of the water-pipes and Con-Ed refuse to come by to fix the situation until the asbestos is removed. The LL knew about this for some time and has not got the asbestos removed because she couldn't get the plummer she routinely use to come to the building to remove it until maybe this week. Evidently the earliest date that Con-Ed can/will come and fix the situation is June 23, 2001 -- provided that the LL got the asbestos removed by then.
As far as I am concern, there was plenty of time for the LL to take care of the problem. Even if Con-Ed was being impossible, she could have used another plummer and got the problem fixed by now. However, since there's still a problem with the electricity in the building, do I have any legal rights as a tenant to appeal to. Can I withhold rent or deduct part of the rent for the 4 months of access to electricity running at 1/2 capacity?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name