Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

wants month to month lease

Posted by Michael on June 11, 2001 at 12:43:30:

I live in Rochester, NY. My landlord sent me a lease renewal form to sign. My lease is up at the end of July. As I am looking for a house to purchase, I would prefer the flexibility of beginning a month to month lease. He refused. He offer me a 'deal' which was no deal at all. I could sign a full lease, plus an addendum. The addendum would allow me to break the lease, but only if someone was found to take my place. If not, I was responsible for the full term of the lease. The 'deal' was that he would waive the extra month's rent they normally require for this addendum to the lease. Coupled with the other dubious and contradictory statements he made, I don't trust him at all. He had offered me a one month only extension as well, which would help some. What leverage do I have? Is his acceptance of a rent check after the lease ends a de facto month to month lease? I am a good tenant who pays on time, and has always left places cleaner than I found them.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name