Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenant May Be Liable for Charging Roommate More Than 'Proportionate Share' of Legal Rent

Posted by New York Tenant on June 09, 2001 at 11:25:25:

In Reply to: Re: Tenant May Be Liable for Charging Roommate More Than 'Proportionate Share' of Legal Rent posted by Gracie on June 09, 2001 at 10:40:59:

An occupied apartment renting for more than $2,000 a month can be deregulated by DHCR if the tenant's income is over $175,000 a year for two consecutive years, or if the tenant fails to timely follow all of DHCR's requests for information.

At this time, it's not clear if the roommate portion of the amended Rent Stabilization Code will be deemed valid by the courts, and if it is upheld, what the remedies will be for the landlord and for the roommate (recover overcharges, treble damages, etc.), or the consequences to the tenant and to the roommate (possible eviction, etc.).

:
: I'ts actually $2349.51 and I know it is rent stabilized-she has lived here since 1992. I'm not really upset at her cuz I would have agreed to pay more than half the rent but I wish she had told me in the first place. As I understand this, there isn't any recourse for me to recover an overcharge if I wanted to, just get us both kicked out.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name