Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord moving sister into my apt--Update

Posted by Zephyr on June 07, 2001 at 19:47:48:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord moving sister into my apt--Update posted by KT on June 07, 2001 at 12:33:14:

Essentially you are just renting a room - a "roommate" of the other family members there. It's not illegal for an owner to take on a roommate or to rent out a room, but I would strongly recommend that you use this juncture as an opportunity to get an apartment of your own. If you can at all afford it, a regular apartment with a lease in your name would give you a secure place to live and spare you of sharing the place with the owner's family.

Incidently, what Lilly said it incorrect - making bullets is not illegal; in fact, you have a constitutional right to keep arms. Entirely not relevant to this case - but should be mentioned.

: First, thank you Lilly and Chris for providing some answers to my questions. I will try to answer some of your questions without going into too much detail.

: I moved in in Feb. 98 into the second bedroom on the third floor with a current tenant who at that time resided on the 2nd floor. The third floor apartment already had a tenant and we supposedly share the rent. (I recently found out that I pay more than he does.) The relationship ended and now I pay rent for this room. When the relationship ended the LL told me that my rent would go up and it did. I have been paying the new rent like clockwork on or around the 1st of every month for the last two years. We do not have a classic lease but I do what I have to do in order to live here.

: As far as the relationship of the tenants in the house, I am the only non-family member here and it bothers me that now with this planned move with the LL building a partition in the living room to make room for the sister, I feel that they are trying to force me out. I have nothing against the sister nor the family that lives here but their traditions of community living is not my bag. I have to keep the apartment door locked in order to avoid people walking in unannounced. It's maddening. I am speaking with an ex-employer to find out what legal avenues I can take to stop this so called "renovation" and/or the making of bullets in the basement. (Isn't that against the law in NY).

: thank you again

: KT in Brooklyn, NY

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name