Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

MCI Increase

Posted by Richard on June 03, 2001 at 23:53:28:

I live in a rent stabilized studio apartment in Manhattan.

The owner of my building recently applied for and was granted a large MCI increase, which is to be paid by the building tenants based on number of rooms in each apartment. I have no problem paying the increase. My problem is that I am being charged for four rooms, when I only have a studio, which should count as one room, two at most. (I've been told by other tenants in the building that it should only count as one room.)

I am preparing to file a Petition For Administrative Review with the DHCR. However, this is my question: since the allocation of rooms was based on the owner's floor plan, is there any place that I can get a copy of the floor plan of this building? My apartment is rent-stabilized as are most of the other apartments in the building. And the building was built in the mid 60s, if that helps.

I don't know how I can prove to the DHCR that I only have a studio apartment. Do I have to prove it? If so, any ideas?

By the way, there are four other tenants -- one directly above me, three directly below me -- who have the same problem. We all have studios but have been charged for four rooms. They too are filing Petitions for Review. Obviously the owner's floor plans are wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name