Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: deregulation

Posted by chelsea on June 02, 2001 at 22:03:20:

In Reply to: deregulation posted by dsc on June 02, 2001 at 20:32:12:

You should call DHCR's rent info hotline ((718)739-6400)on Monday and ask for a rent history for your apartment -- a complete one, not just the last four years. This should tell you if the building was subject to rent stabilization before the J-51. If was regulated before, it remains regulated after.

Also look at your lease to see if there is language notified you that the apartment was regulated because of a J-51. If there is no such disclosure, it is my understanding that it remains regulated until you vacate.

You can also call HPD to verify that the building did indeed receive the J-51.

: i live in a rent regulated apt. in the east village. today i received my lease renewal with an attachment that said:

: "The tenant is hereby placed on notice that the above referenced apartment is subject to the rent stabilization law only by reason of tax abatement granted pursuant to section j-51-2.5 of the administrative code of the city of new york.

: "These benefits expire on july 01, 2003 pursuant to section 289 of 1985, at the expiration of the lease in effect on this date, the apartment occupied by you will no longer be subject to the rent stabilization law.

: "The landlord wishes you to be on further notice that since the tax abatement and expemption benefits granted pursuant to section j-51 will expire on july 01, 2003, and since your apartment will no longer be subject to the rent stabilization laws once the lease in effect on that date expires, the landlord may charge market rent for your apartment, and will not be legally bound by any city, state or federal rent guidelines and may continue to charge market rent."

:
: My questions are: how can i confirm this information and, will all the 26 units in my building be deregulated in July 2003.

: Thanks,
: Deborah

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name