Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

danger in apartment

Posted by CYNTHIA SIMON on May 31, 2001 at 13:51:05:

I live in a two apartment building, privately owned. it has two businesses down stairs. We have lived here now for six years. we have had problems with this landlord for a while but they were minor and we fixed them ourselves. but now this complaint is serious. our floor in the living room the beams are gone. He stabilized it for the minute but now its getting worse. He is surpose to put new beams in the floor. This has been going on for the past five weeks. Before we knew how serious it was he had us sign a new lease for three years now-2004.
He raised the rent and now he hasn't done the work. the walls are cracking I guess from age. The person that came in to check everything said this was a dangerous situation. I have my family in here and I don't know what to do. I hate to take him to court because they are my elders in their seventies and we try to talk to them and they keep saying it is going to be fixed but nothing is being done.
I don't want to have a tragedy on my hands. We are like stuck between a rock and a hard place. We can't just jump up and move, we can't afford it and with signing this new lease I would like to know the consequences if we did. Please give me some advice on what to do. If we break the lease, what will happen, if we call the city on him what will happen? Please advice. Thankyou

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name