Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Cable TV

Posted by Babs on May 31, 2001 at 08:48:39:

I live in a 20-unit apt. bldg. in Brooklyn (built late 1800's) with a mix of rent-control and rent-stabilized apts. Recently the landlord has decided we can't have cable TV and has cut the main wire. In a confrontation with him, he claims he never gave permission (he did indeed as the cable company over 8 years ago would not wire our building without it). He also claims his insurance is being raised $6,000 because of having cable and that it is a fire hazard (but not because of all the faulty wiring in the building I guess). He padlocked the back exit to the building so the cable company couldn't go down to repair. One tenant called and let the guy go down a fire escape in order to repair it. We had cable for about 6 days. When he realized it was fixed, he had his son cut the wire again. We called the cops but they can't arrest him without a witness. We have one who saw the cable get cut, but she is afraid to go forward as I think she fears repercussions.
Does anyone know how we can fight this (i.e. who we can contact).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name