Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: APARTMENT FIRE - NOW HOMELESS

Posted by Renee on May 31, 2001 at 05:05:45:

In Reply to: APARTMENT FIRE - NOW HOMELESS posted by EILEEN on May 30, 2001 at 23:17:49:

You don't say where you are from, so some generic info...... many leases state that landlord is not responsible for your possessions and recommend renter's insurance. Also, lease will tell you what the landlord may do in such a case. Usually, lease can be terminated. I would expect, however, that once fire inspection is completed and it is determined that the fire origin was no fault of yours, your security will be refunded. First of all, did your copy of the lease perish in the fire? Ask the LL for a copy to determine where you stand. Second - all of this does you no good as you stand homeless with no possessions. I have seen many organizations step up to the plate for situations such as this. Salvation Army is one, churches, etc as well. See if you can call the local paper and get some press on your plight. There may be a LL out there willing to forego security or to give you right of first refusal. Some companies pitch in to help with furnishings, clothing etc. In my area recently, there was an elderly man that lost his home in a tornado. He was in his 70's and had cancelled his insurance because of the cost. It has been heartwarming to see the community pitch in with building materials, labor, cash contributions, etc. I know it may be hard to ask for help, but Eileen, we were not placed on this earth to be alone. At one time or another , we all need someone's help and need to give our help when needed. Wish there was more I could do for you. Keeping you in my prayers!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name