Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help with my roomate problems! How do I cover my ass?

Posted by Ace on May 30, 2001 at 17:44:18:

In Reply to: Help with my roomate problems! How do I cover my ass? posted by KM on May 30, 2001 at 15:18:22:

this situation sounds very familiar. did you post about a month or two ago about this?

if this person tony is listed as tenant and not occupant, then the best idea is to ride it out -- and discreetly find another place to live. The lease is binding in the meantime to those who are listed as tenant until the expiration of the lease, which you note as two months from now.

It's a hellish situation. Try to talk calmly with your roommate and the neighbor. If anything, if the neighbor knows who is doing what, let them call the cops -- they will arrest the ones the neighbor is complaining about.

: Hi, I live in the suburbs of Albany, NY, in a complex with about 100 apartments, 5 in each building, no rent regulation, written lease till August 1st, 2001.

: My Fiancee and I live with one of his friends "Tony" (who is also on the lease). Tony started getting really wild shortly after we got the apartment together. We are 21/22 and he constantly has young high school kids over (16 & 17). He used to do it a lot more, but we told him it was unaccpetable and inappropriate and he cut it down to like 2 times a month (often when we are not here). When we are not here they are especially loud and rowdy and he serves alchohol to minors. I suspect they do drugs as well.

: The neighbor across the hall knows there are underage kids drinking, she also knows it is not my fiancee and I making the noise. She is going to call the cops next time it happens, she just told me today. I am going to have a talk with him about these problems, but I know he will just blow me off. What can I do? He is on the lease and we cannot afford the apartment without him paying his third.

: How can I keep things calm for the next 2 months until the lease runs out? Asking him to leave is not an option, however I don't want a police record! Does anyone have any suggestions of ways to cover my ass and/or to get him to stop? Should I contact the rental office? Help!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name