Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: To pay or not to pay

Posted by Jimmy Legs on May 25, 2001 at 09:10:58:

In Reply to: To pay or not to pay posted by sd on May 24, 2001 at 01:55:09:

while that inspector guy has a point -- you are still getting electricity, albeit from an outside source -- i doubt your life is exactly as it would be if you had power to your actual apartment. i think he was just tyring to make you feel better, don't let it shake your confidence! that's like getting bad food at a diner and having somebody say "well there's a lotta people who have no food, so consider yourself lucky." while that's technically true, i'm still gonna complain to the fry cook!

did your LL ever respond to your letter? i don't think it's an unreasonable request. he's supposed to provide a fully working apartment and if he doesn't do that you should be able to jumpstart him by withholding rent.

i wouldn't get into the legality of the basement just yet. i suppose it could come in handy if he keeps stonewalling, but if it gets to that point your energies might be better spent looking for a new home. the work has begun on the re-wiring, right? so it looks like the LL will follow through. you should really talk to him and make sure you are square. maybe you could pay a reduced rent until the problem is solved, as a gesture of good tenantship?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name