Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: can a landlord deny me needed renovations?

Posted by Eddie G. on May 23, 2001 at 00:36:34:

In Reply to: Re: can a landlord deny me needed renovations? posted by Honey Bee on May 22, 2001 at 21:14:30:

: Renovations of the type you describe don't just happen on a whim. They also aren't cheap. So consider carefully what you want. Do you want contractors in your apartment for several weeks and a substantial rent increase ? Or are you OK with a lousy apartment in a great neighborhood for a cheap rent ? Being rent controlled, you probably pay a pittance while others in your area pay four figure rents. So, as they say, be careful what you wish for - you just might get it.

:
: : My wife and I live in the Lower East Side. We live in a tenement building (bathtub in the kitchen, etc.). The floor is rotten under the tub and has a bad odor coming from it. Our toilet is actually in a closet and is very hard to negotiate. Since our building was brought by a management company, they have started and completed renovations on about 6 apartments (as they become vacant) in our 22 apartment building which is "rent controlled". I say to you all, what is the protocol or what power do I have to get that damn bathroom up to an 20th century standard (dare I exven think of the 21st....)?

We are fully prepared... if our rent tripled we could pay it! in- addition we are prepared to sublet if needed for two months and put "our stuff storage". Now that I've defined those parameters could someone tell me what are my rights, any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name