Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord Access: more good info

Posted by link on May 20, 2001 at 17:54:44:

In Reply to: Landlord Access posted by Deirdre Cregan on May 17, 2001 at 12:19:10:

: I live in Manhattan in New York City. I have a rent stabilized apartment. My landlord has requested a set of keys for the apartment - he says that it is a law in New York State that I provide them for him. He says it is in case of an emergency and he is withholding our new mailbox keys unless we turn over our keys. My understanding was that I have to provide access - not keys and that it is not a law.

NYTenant is correct but here is the NYC access law for all tenants:
http://tenant.net/forum/board/messages/arcs99/arcs9909/6676.html

The New York City Housing Maintenance Regulations define the procedures for reasonable access:

RULES OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK
TITLE 28: Housing Preservation and Development
CHAPTER 25: Multiple Dwellings
SUBCHAPTER H: Owner's Right to Access to Apartments or Rooms in Multiple Dwellings

28 RCNY § 25-101 (1997)

§ 25-101 Owner's Right of Access.

(a) Owner to give notice.Where an owner seeks access to an apartment, suite of rooms or to a room, under the provisions of §27-2008 in order to make inspection therein for the purpose of determining whether such places are in compliance with the provisions of the multiple dwelling law of the administrative code, he shall notify the tenants that he will seek access to the apartment, suite of rooms, or rooms, not less that twenty-four hours in advance of such time. Where an owner, contractor or agent of the owner seeks access to make improvements required by law or to make repairs, notice shall be given to the tenant not less than one week in advance of the time when the improvements or repairs are to be started. However, where repairs are urgently needed in emergencies to prevent damage to property or to prevent injury to persons, such repairs of leaking gas piping or appliances, leaking water piping, stopped-up or defective drains or leaking roofs, broken and dangerous ceiling conditions, no advance notice shall be required from the owner, agent, contractor or workman.

(b) Notices to be in writing.Where an owner is required to give notice in advance of seeking access to an apartment, suite of rooms or to a room, as required by subdivision (a) of this section, such notice shall be in writing and shall contain a statement of the nature of the improvement or repairs to be made.

(c) Authorization to be in writing.Where an authorized agent or employee of an owner seeks access to an apartment, suite of rooms, or rooms, the authorization of the owner shall be in writing and the agent or employee shall exhibit such authorization to the tenant when access is requested.

(d) Hours when access to be permitted.Except in emergencies, access to an apartment, suite of rooms, or rooms, shall be limited, to the hours between nine antemeridian and five post-meridian. Access shall not be required on Saturdays, Sundays or legal holidays except in emergencies.

So---If you live in NYC, send your landlord a copy of the regulations and request that it comply with them. It is certainly unreasonable not to outline a more detailed schedule.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name