Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Refusal to provide mailman with access to building

Posted by New York Tenant on May 16, 2001 at 22:03:42:

In Reply to: Refusal to provide mailman with access to building posted by loisaida on May 16, 2001 at 18:10:12:

The landlord appears petty, but he's probably legally correct: the key to the building was under the exclusive control of the US Postal Service and apparently was lost or misplaced by a letter carrier or other USPS employee with access to it.

You've made your best efforts to get a copy of the key. I'd suggest filing a written complaint at your local post office. Then the landlord and the USPS will have to straighten it out.

:
: I live in a 9 unit rent stabilized building in NYC. The mailman's key to the front door of the building was either lost or stolen (key is usually kept in locked receptacle on the outside of the building). There is no on site super (he stops by a few times a week to take out the building trash and sweep the halls, and has stated that he is only available M-F, 9-5, no holidays or weekends). The mail man is unable to gain access to the building to deliver tenant's mail (we have locked mailboxes in the building lobby), unless a tenant is home when he comes (all tenants in building work during day), and tenants are unable to have their mail delivered.

: Super and building manager have been notified of problem but are refusing to provide new key for mail man. Building management's reply was "its the mailman's responsibility to make sure he doesn't lose his key, those keys cost $18 (Medeco) each and I'm not paying to have a new one made".

: What are the rights of tenant's to be able to receive their mail, and what is the landlord's responsibility?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name