Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Not if they don't want to sell...

Posted by Honey Bee on May 15, 2001 at 19:21:10:

In Reply to: Want to buy unit posted by Trixie on May 15, 2001 at 10:35:13:

You can only buy what is for sale, and then only if you have a seller willing to make a deal with you. Sounds like you don't have either. It's important to be aware that renting an apartment (even for a lifetime) gives you no special "in" or rights to purchase the apartment.

But you're on the right track, becuase buying is almost invariable more cost effective than renting over the long term. But you need to work with a broker or pound the pavement looking at what available. Chances are you'll find something better or cheaper than where you live now. Don't make the mistake of getting so emotionally wrapped up in your present quarters that you ignore better opportunities that may come along.

: I am in Manhattan, in a non-rent stabilized/controlled co-op building. I rent on a month by month basis in a unit owned by the building itself. It is the only rental in the building (out of approx 24 units). I have been there 3 years, and prior to my moving in the building had been renting it out to other people. The building's bylaws only allow owners to sublet for 3 years at a time.

: I would like to buy my unit. Is there anything I can do to push the issue? I have asked the building manager (who I pay my rent to) about it repeatedly but he claims they don't want to sell. Other tenants (who own their units) have expressed their interest in purchasing this unit to me. If they decide to sell, would I get first shot at buying it as I'm in there already? Also, as I've been there for 3 years, would I be eligible for an insider price? is this standard practice in NYC or just something some buildings do?

: Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name