Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Question of notice in increase in lease

Posted by Ace on May 15, 2001 at 17:45:17:

In Reply to: Eviction / End of Lease posted by Jim on May 15, 2001 at 15:54:57:

If your lease stated that 60 days were needed to alert and renew the lease along with the increases, then bring this up to your LL immediately. If you have had a good relationship with the LL, then possibly something could be worked out -- would you stay if you got the same increase as last time? Bring this up to the LL. If you've been a good tenant that pays on time, this should also be brought up and it could work in your favor. If LL doesn't budge, explain your reluctance to leave but if you must, you must, and give LL the 60 day notice (and PUT IT in writing, certified or Federal Express) and make sure you get a signature upon receipt of the letter to the LL stating the 60 day notice. Please make sure to keep copies of everything in a safe place like a bank safety deposit box and take time and date stamped pictures/video of your place when you are ready to move out (and have the LL have a walkthrough with you, taking pictures as you go along) so later on there won't be issues regarding the security owed you. Good luck and let us know how this all turns out.

: I live in Goldens Bridge, NY (Westchester County)in a mutiple family apartment building owned by the LL. My present lease expires May 31, 2001. In the previous lease it stated I must give 60 days notice if I were to leave and the landlord must give 60 days notice of a rent increase. The LL just provided a draft of the new lease on May 9, which included an increase of 8%. I was expecting 3-4%, which was the increase for the last 3 years I lived there.

: : Question - what are my rights? I would like to leave but need time to find a place. I do not want to sign a new lease with the present LL. Can he force me out on June 1? I had no intentions of leaving until he gave me the new lease (which was NOT given 60 days in advance). What are the eviction laws for Westchester?

: : Please help!!!!!! Thank you I appreciate any response.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name