Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

damage

Posted by Libbi Guigli on May 15, 2001 at 13:18:25:

I live in update NY, Saratoga Springs to be exact. I lived in an apartment for 2.5 years. I had some friends move in an entertainment center and in the process had done some minor damage in the hall way.
The next day I went to the local lumberyard to purchase the materials to repair the damage. Contacted the landlord the following work day and told them what happened and that I purchased the supplies to repair the damage and all I needed was the paint and if there was any of the wall paper incase it could be fixed appropriately. I was then told to sit tight until the landlord could look at it. I was then told about a week later that they did not want me to fix it, that the landlord would and bill me. Two weeks later I moved out (after giving my required 30 days notice). When I handed in my keys, I asked again about the repairs, if I was going to get billed for them and the secretary and I both agreed that it would not be right that I be charged for something that I had every intention of repairing on my own and left. Last week (3-4 weeks later) the secretary informed that now the landlord wants me to repair this damage, and quickly.
My question is what rights to I have as far as now having to repair the damage after I was told I didn't have to? Do they have the right to bill me if I don't fix the damage after I said I would and then told I couldn't? Could they keep my deposit?
HELP!!!
Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name