Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

No electricity and more

Posted by sd on May 14, 2001 at 19:05:44:

I moved into a non-stabilized, 2-bedroom apartment in Park Slope on May 1st. When signing the lease, I was told that all utilities would be included except for electricity. I moved into the apartment only a few days after signing the lease, so I didn't get around to faxing some info to Con-ed that they requested by the time I was actually in the place. So when my electricity went out around 8:15am Friday morning, for a second I thought it was my fault. Then I called Con-ed and discovered that the apartment owner had not paid "for a while" and owed over $700 dollars. Also, the entire building (3 apartments; 1 is empty) only has 1 meter, so if I had put the bill in my name, I would have been paying for everyone! So the owner and one of the guys who does repairs on the building came by that night. They tried to tell me that there were "electrical problems" until I informed him that I knew he hadn't paid the bill. Also, he said that I had been told by the realtors that the owners would pay the electricity "at first" until I set the account up in my own name. This is not true; I would have never agreed to anything so non-specific. Well, there are electrical problems with the way the building is wired and Con-ed won't restore service until each apartment has its own meter AND they receive payment. Meanwhile, I went without electricity for about 13 or 14 hours until I was set up with 2 extension cords running from another building for "emergency electricity". I was told something would be done on Monday (today) and no one has come out. Con-ed will no longer give me any information since my name is not on the account. (I think the owner told them to stop that). I already told the owner that I would not pay rent for any day I don't have electricity (I don't consider this "emergency electricity" anything since I can't use the whole apartment) and that he would have to pay me for the food that was spoiled (about $50). He agreed, but I don't trust these people and he had an attitude like I should be satisfied with the "emergency electricity".

Also, a few days before I moved in, I spoke to the guys working on the apartment and they said they might need "a few more days" after the 1st to finish things that needed repair, like building closets (there were none, finishing carpet, etc. Well, it's the 14th and they still aren't finished. Some days they don't even show up, or they only work for a few hours, and I was told they have "other jobs" to do.

How can I fix these situations? I am ready to give the apartment up and start over; I have a bad feeling here. Is that ever possible? I assume I would be forfeiting the realty fee, but I found out after moving in that the realtor is also part owner! Help, please. (Sorry so long)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name