Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: June 20 -- Rent Stabilization Board vote

Posted by Ace on May 11, 2001 at 10:42:07:

In Reply to: Re: June 20 -- Rent Stabilization Board vote posted by Food (For Thought) on May 10, 2001 at 20:45:52:

So far the RGB has been working in the interest of the LL -- giving the LL an increase, and not a small one at that. One percent is one thing -- but I recently signed a lease for 6% for two years. The increase I got from my job? 3%. I see a problem with the numbers. I know the LL's would, if this situation was reversed.

What I'm saying is, regardless, the LL's will get a nice increase. And they're claiming fuel prices. Fuel prices weren't up for several years, yet they got their increases regardless. LL's also won't open their books for the year 2000 to show their need for this new increase. With RGB giving them an increase of any kind, they won't have to.

And the public interest includes the tenants, which is NOT being heard here, as the tenants are saying no to increases, period, and are proposing a rent freeze. Funny how RGB is not responding to that. Being "happy" with a 3 to 5% is b.s. It's still an increase and LL's are still getting something, on top of the 35% increase in profit they already got over the past two years BEFORE this year's fuel pricings. So as far as I'm concerned, as businesspeople, they are doing well and are just being greedy.

And as far as the geriatric response, what is this, Logan's Run? Will we start killing people once they hit 30? By the way, I'm not anywhere near the geriatric level but I'm also not a teenager. I'm considered by the IRS as part of the middle-class. You know, the section that always gets squeezed from both sides, the rich and the poor. I can't afford a co-op or mansion but I make enough to stay out of the ghetto. Does that mean I become invisible or non-deserving of paying a decent rent on a decent apartment in a decent neighborhood?

: RGB is supposed to be acting in "the public" interest -- not in the interest of just tenants or just landlords.

: Going to the meetings is a waste of time ... just a bunch of geriatric fools yelling about their problems.

: I hear tenant activists want low rents and landlords want high rents ... is that anything new ?

: : Recently, New York City news reported that LL's wanted a 9 percent increase for 1 year and 13 percent for two year lease renewals on rent stabilized apartments. Apparently, this was a scare tactic to put up the 3% for 1 year and 5% for two years that Guiliani and the Rent Stabilization Board eventually came up with instead so that way, the LL's get an increase, regardless.

: : Yesterday there was a meeting that some tenants were not allowed to enter. It was a public meeting, which meant that media was also supposed to be allowed and they too, were banned.

: : On June 20, the voting will be cast regarding the increase -- there WILL be one, and most likely the 3 to 5 percent deal. Do you want any increase at all, considering the LL's have refused to open their books for this past year (2000) to ask for an increase this year? Although LL's are using the excuse about oil/fuel increases, the fact remains that when oil prices weren't high two years ago NYC tenants were still hit with an increase of 4% for one year, 6% for two, the highest increases it's ever been.

: : Please let your presence and voice be known and heard. Write the RGB and show up for the voting. Let the RGB know they're supposed to be working for the tenant's interest, NOT the LL's!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name