Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Paid My Rent With A Money Order. Now I'm Told They Don't Have My Rent Payment and I must Pay in Three Days, Plus Pay an Extra Late Fee, Or I'm Out!

Posted by Ace on May 07, 2001 at 14:56:55:

In Reply to: Paid My Rent With A Money Order. Now I'm Told They Don't Have My Rent Payment and I must Pay in Three Days, Plus Pay an Extra Late Fee, Or I'm Out! posted by William Trader on May 07, 2001 at 04:52:49:

I agree with the posters -- if there is no number listed on the money order receipt, go to the place or call the place you got the money order made from and immediately put a freeze on the money order.

If you've never been a problem with paying the rent before, bring this fact up to the LL, asking if you could pay 1/2 for now until you get the money back from the money order fiasco.

Was this money order mailed or personally handed in? Did you speak to someone in the office that can vouch that you appeared and brought in your check?

: I live in an "Avalon Bay Communities" apartment in San Jose California. I have a one year contract, with 10 months to go, and I've lived here for over a year.

: I paid my March rent on time with a money order. I do have the copy of the money order with the name of the apartment complex and the date on it. I then got a "three day pay or quit" notice on the 4th and was told that they don't have a payment for me and it's up to me to get a new money order fast.

: My question is; since I have a copy of the money order I handed them and I did pay my rent on time, do I owe a late fee? Also, if it takes 30 days before my bank will reissue the funds used in the money order, can I make my apartment management company (Avalon Bay Communities) wait till my bank reissues the money order?

: It should be know that I don't have the money to simply get a new money order and wait for a refund for the lost money order and that my apartment management company (Avalon Bay Communities) makes me pay with a money order because I?ve had a bounced check.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name