Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Paid My Rent With A Money Order. Now I'm Told They Don't Have My Rent Payment and I must Pay in Three Days, Plus Pay an Extra Late Fee, Or I'm Out!

Posted by New York Tenant on May 07, 2001 at 09:37:46:

In Reply to: Paid My Rent With A Money Order. Now I'm Told They Don't Have My Rent Payment and I must Pay in Three Days, Plus Pay an Extra Late Fee, Or I'm Out! posted by William Trader on May 07, 2001 at 04:52:49:

You said you "handed them" a money order for the March rent. Why didn't you ask for a receipt? That would have avoided the problem.

Does your lease provide for late fees?

:
: I live in an "Avalon Bay Communities" apartment in San Jose California. I have a one year contract, with 10 months to go, and I've lived here for over a year.

: I paid my March rent on time with a money order. I do have the copy of the money order with the name of the apartment complex and the date on it. I then got a "three day pay or quit" notice on the 4th and was told that they don't have a payment for me and it's up to me to get a new money order fast.

: My question is; since I have a copy of the money order I handed them and I did pay my rent on time, do I owe a late fee? Also, if it takes 30 days before my bank will reissue the funds used in the money order, can I make my apartment management company (Avalon Bay Communities) wait till my bank reissues the money order?

: It should be known that I don't have the money to simply get a new money order and wait for a refund for the lost money order and that my apartment management company (Avalon Bay Communities) makes me pay with a money order because I’ve had a bounced check.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name