Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Brokers, Manhattan, lists, etc.

Posted by Honey Bee on May 06, 2001 at 19:09:36:

In Reply to: manhattanlandlords.com posted by Sarah on May 06, 2001 at 13:25:30:

A few words about moving to Manhattan and brokers. First of all, by deciding to move specifically to Manhattan, you have chosen to rent in a very difficult market where rents are quite high. If you were to consider outer boros like Queens or the Bronx, or even Manhattan neighborhoods like Harlem or Inwood, you will find a bigger selection of affordable housing. If quality, low-cost housing is important to you then consider ALL neighborhoods where such housing is available. A lot has changed.

Secondly, a good broker works FOR you. Like selecting any service profesional, you may have to "interview" several brokers until you find one you can work with. People use brokers becuase they can save you quite a bit of time and trouble by showing you the types of housing you want that meet your conditions, and by helping you negotiate with the landlord.

As for buying list of Manhattan landlords ... maybe worth it, maybe not. I'd get a couple of references. In any case if you choose to get an apartment through pounding the pavement and chatting up with landlords, supers, etc. you'd probably soon develop your own "list".

: I am a recent college grad looking to move to manhattan and have been told to be very weary of brokers, due to escalated fees, scams and such. Recently I was surfing the web and came across this site called manhattanlandlords.com. This site promises to mail the customer (once a credit card number is given) a complete list of landlords in the city. Now I really feel that this may be a scam but wondered if anyone else has knowledge of this company or if it works. I am very curious and want to try it but am leary. It is advertised in the Village Voice, if that means anything. Can anyone give me feedback, i would really appreciate it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name