Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Passive resistance

Posted by Jimmy on May 04, 2001 at 14:06:04:

In Reply to: Passive resistance posted by John on May 04, 2001 at 06:51:52:

the way i see it, you have two options: fix it yourself or put the rent in escrow. a friend of mine put her rent in escrow when the LL dragged his feet on installing (guess what!) a railing and better steps up to her apartment. this was something he promised he would when she signed the lease. i don't think she had anything in writing but she sent him several letters specifying the agreement which he still said he planned on doing. after several months of no activity she informed him she would be putting the next month's rent in escrow unless he did the work. he did it. perhaps a more savvy LL would have been able to shoot holes in that, but most scurry if you start involving a 3rd party.

the other option is to fix stuff yourself and take it out of the rent. if you discuss it with him before you do the repairs, i bet he'd be willing to cut you a deal. check your lease for anything about the habitability of your apartment. that's a vague term that you can work to your advantage. it does sound like your LL will prefer to let you handle the repairs, but i don't think he can evict you if he's not holding up his end of the lease.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name