Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

HELP! All advice appreciated

Posted by Alex on May 03, 2001 at 22:12:27:

I live in one of two adjacent buildings in Manhattan that each contain 18 units. These buildings are "technically" rooming houses with a sprinkle of apartments thrown in for good measure. I live in a studio on the top floor of one of these buildings. The first summer here I thought I was going to melt so I approached the LL regarding A/C. Because he provides ALL utilities, he informed me that I had to pay $150 for him to run a circuit and whatever additional electricity I used running the unit --which I don't see how the heck he would be able to measure this. I bought a lot of fans and have suffered every summer since I have lived here after he told me that.

It appears to me that each one of these apartments on my floor is on the same circuit because I occasionally notice my lights dimming as if someone has plugged in an iron. This dimming has occurred the entire time I've lived here but I have been having problems this last week with my cable box and TV suddenly shutting off, and now today my computer, for no reason at all. I'm thinking that it's probably due to some people running their A/C and it's sending surges.

Now my question: if I wanted to have my apartment set-up with power that ConEd would bill me for independent of what's provided, could I do this and would the LL be liable for whatever it would take to provide me with my own electricity? If these last few days are an indication of what the summer will bring, I will melt...as I'm doing now as I type this. I do not want to run the risk of losing my TV and other equipment because of some illegally not up to code wiring in this building. I've had a few other minor issues -- the fridge that builds up more ice than an igloo in the summer. I told the LL -- he told me to defrost it daily, so I'm not dealing with someone who will work with me. What can I do--other than hope it cools off this weekend? Do I have any options? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name