Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: What can they do to these people?

Posted by Renee on May 02, 2001 at 17:30:34:

In Reply to: What can they do to these people? posted by shirley on May 01, 2001 at 19:54:10:

You don't say where she is from. In most places, sixty day notice on a month to month tenancy is generous. The landlord is being kind in doing so since 30 day notice is all that is required. At this point, if she has been given notice, he can file for eviction when the notice period is up. Court will grant the eviction and this will be on her credit report for the next 7 - 10 years , depending on reporting agency.

I know its hard for her, having been there for so long. Her rent is probably reasonable and she has it fixed up the way she wants, but the bottom line is that the owner is .... the owner. Its his house and if he wants it back - ultimately - he will get it back. How nasty it gets will depend on her acceptance or denial of the situation.

Looking out my window at the tulips blooming (that I planted last fall), I can really feel for her sorrow because I get this feeling that she may have done the same and must leave her work behind. I'm sure she has made this place a home in every sense of the word and it will be hard for her to leave. As a friend, maybe you can help her accept the inevitable and take her out looking for places. She must have been an awesome tenant for her landlord to have kept her for that many years. Maybe she can even find a home that has more ammenities than the one she's in if she can get past the hurt. Please try to convince her to use this time wisely instead of denying that this will happen. She is losing precious time. I would hate to see a nice person have their credit destroyed and their possessions out in the street. You're a good friend. Hope when I hit a brick wall - I have someone like you there to soften the blow.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name