Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Help! The government is seizing my building!

Posted by Laura on May 01, 2001 at 10:08:52:

Two US marshals just showed up and apparently my apartment building has been seized by the US government! I'm really scared about what this could mean to me.

The court order that they gave me is completely unhelpful. It does state that the case is "US v. Scott M. H____" who is not my landlord. I think he owns the units on the first floor (this is a coop) and I know he's in jail. I thought the govt. actually seized his portion of the property a long time ago, but the marshals said that this seizure is for whole building.

I called the phone number listed on the court order, but got a machine. I also called my landlord (who had no idea about the seizure and asked me to fax him a copy of the court order). I just am concerned about the implications of this situation for my family and wondered whether I should seek legal advice. The court order said that I should send my lease (I'm month-to-month, but have all cancelled checks), and my rent check to the govt. My landlord says I should still send it to him. It's due today, and I don't know what to do.

--Debra

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name