Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: security deposit

Posted by Ace on April 30, 2001 at 10:59:55:

In Reply to: security deposit posted by cabbagemoth on April 30, 2001 at 10:13:57:

You don't mention if you're at market rate or rent stabilized/controlled. In any case, as long as you give the LL at least a full month's notice, you must arrange for a day for the LL to take a walkthru with you (videotaping or picture taking with time-date stamped on it showing you and the LL walking through and observing the walls, ceilings, floors, locks, windows, and bathroom and sinks). Then make a copy of the tape/photos, (have one of the pictures show that day's newspapers if you don't have a time-date stamp feature) and along with a short polite letter, ask for your security back. Make sure to send it certified/return receipt or Federal Express (I prefer Fed Ex next day delivery!) and you can ask to receive it on the day you move. Sometimes, though, I believe the LL can have anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to hand over the deposit (rent stabilized). Good luck!

: I am about to move out of my Manhattan apartment. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for getting the security deposit back? Should I have a walk-through with the super? Just move out at the end of the lease and wait for a check to arrive? Any advice is much appreciated - thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name