Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Questions...

Posted by Renee on April 25, 2001 at 04:04:13:

In Reply to: Questions... posted by Ace on April 24, 2001 at 17:05:06:

You didn't indicate where you are from. However, in most areas, verbal agreements are worthless. As a landlord, I can accept as many applications with deposits as I chose. In turn, I have the applicant sign a deposit receipt which indicates that acceptance or rejection will be made within 48 hours on business days and that if accepted and applicant changes their mind, no funds will be returned, however, if they are not accepted all deposit less application fee will be returned within 24 hours. Everything is done in writing. This landlord could have been stringing you along and found a new prospective tenant that he preferred just the day before. You have no way of proving any of your assertions.

I hope it will not prove to be too costly of a lesson for you. Perhaps you can mitigate damages with moving company by asking them to reschedule for a later date when you find another place to live. PLEASE - get everything in writing and if someone doesn't call back immediately you can safely assume there is a problem. Write it on a slip of paper and have them sign it if they don't provide something. When I have an applicant that is approved, the first thing I want is a signed lease so that I can cancel the advertising and proceed with other arrangements for the transfer of the property. Someone that dawdles like this is either a poor manager or hesitant to "settle" and looking for a better choice. I hope that they are at least ethical in returning any deposits you may have paid.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name