Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Questions...

Posted by Ace on April 24, 2001 at 17:05:06:

In Reply to: Tenants Rights prior to lease signing posted by Tim King on April 24, 2001 at 16:43:01:

Did money exchange hands during this? Did you give him a check or money order? You would have a paper trail and he'd have to pay you your funds. If you paid him in cash, it would be harder to prove he was trying to rip you off. Unfortunately, verbal "agreements" are hard to prove in court and it would basically be "he said, she said" type of thing which the court doesn't care to hear or justify.

If no money exchanged hands and it was all just verbal, I would wash my hands of it and move on. Remember to get everything in writing and signed and dated and in your hands before anything else.

: I know I was the idiot that made moving arrangements prior to signing
: the lease but thought i should ask any way:

: Over the course of 2 weeks I was verbally assured that I would be the new tenant in a condo complex. The person I spoke with was 1 of 3 owners that rents the condo as an investment. Well, 1 week prior to move in he calls to say they are giving the condo to someone else. Do I have any case since he verbally said the condo was mine and the lease was still being rewritten to incorporate a dog and it's security deposit into the lease? He did say other person looked at place, and according to my calculations of when that person viewed the apartment and when he last told me the place was mine, he must have known that he had no intentions of giving the condo to me. Can he be reported to any deparment at least so no one else gets screwed?
: Can he be held to his numerous verbal offers?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name