Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Questions...

Posted by Ace on April 24, 2001 at 17:00:04:

In Reply to: illegal sublet- what can i do? posted by katherine on April 19, 2001 at 11:32:04:

How was your staying there illegal if the apartment was rent stabilized? A rent stabilized tenant has a right to sublet the apartment -- all they have to do is notify the LL in writing. The LL cannot unreasonably deny this. The rent stabilized tenant can sublet two years out of the four living there and must let the LL know where they'll be located and must prove the apartment is still their MAIN residence.

If the apartment is empty and the tenant did not give notice to the LL -- although if tenant chose not to renew the lease, then the tenant loses ALL rights to the place which sets up this question: WHO hav eyou been paying rent to? If you've been paying the LL directly, then you have set up a relationship with the LL and you can't be denied renting the place. And then you can ask LL for a new lease but with your name on it.

Good luck.

: I have been subletting a rent stabilized apartment in a manhattan brownstone for several months illegally. the woman who has the lease on the apartment decided not to renew the lease and to continue letting me stay there (much to my dismay) because the rental agency told her that the landlord's relative would be moving in next dooor and this made her nervous about letting me sublet illegally. I was told that they are planning to keep my apartment empty since they are trying to sell the building. what can i do? can i just stay in the apartment? do i have any rights? i do not have to move out until the end of june.thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name