Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Broker broke

Posted by Shamus on April 19, 2001 at 10:34:32:

What is the legality of this situation? My wife and I are currently trying to secure a place. We have met with a broker several times to see a building that has several spaces for rent. We finally decided on a space, so we filled out the application and got all the necessary paper work together. We paid $150 for the application fee, and $1500 to secure the place. Upon approval from the management company, the broker informed us that we had to pay 1 month security, 1 month rent, and the rest of her fee. As I questioned her about us already putting down the security deposit, she said that the initial $1500 was part of fee, which she did not inform us of when I wrote the check. She led us to believe that this was the security to hold the place. She has already cashed the check and we have yet to sign the contract for the space. Is she right in claiming part of her fee before we have signed any type of contract? And since she has claimed this money for herself, does that then mean that the security of us getting the space is actually not secure??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name