Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: NO lease, lower east side

Posted by JL on April 17, 2001 at 16:43:54:

In Reply to: NO lease, lower east side posted by Tricky on April 17, 2001 at 16:12:14:

it's not exactly illegal, it's just maybe not a good idea not to have a lease. i never had a lease for my last place, it was implied that it was a month-to-month basis, but there was nothing really stopping the LL from coming in one day and saying "git out!"

your LL just sounds like a lazy guy who doesn't like paperwork. but what's all this business about subleasing? if my old landlord had said that, i'd be more than a little nervous. i'd be askign myself, "whoa, is this guy really even a *landlord*?"

so it's mostly your LL's fault since traditionally it is he who furnishes a lease. but to let it go for so long ... anyhow you gotta find out what he's talking about and sign something ... anything! well not really but get some kind of lease so you'll at least have a leg to stand on. backdating the lease might help you make a case that you've been there the whole time, but just make sure you read anything he gives you very very thoroughly.

has anybody here ever presented a LL with a lease when they dragged their feet? most leases are pretty standard, so you'd think you coudl just pick one up and fill it out for a lazy landlord.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name