Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenant Blacklisting

Posted by Ronin on April 17, 2001 at 14:54:08:

In Reply to: Re: Tenant Blacklisting posted by Renee on April 17, 2001 at 06:25:04:

: It is not blacklisting per se, but you can check your local court docket for pending cases schedule. It is public record.

That is true, but my specific interest isn't landlords who personally go down to check a public record or send an employee. My interest is in any services or databases that claim to do the same thing, or specifically act as a blacklist.

In the Andrea story she was subjected to a holdover because her landlord wanted to sell the building. Subsequently a "credit reporting company" had her on a blacklist and she couldnt find an apartment to move into. (In her case, the landlord's reporting the case to the service forced Andrea to stay in the apartment)

Please explain to me how a holdover based on a landlord's sale of a building is in anyway relevent to a tenant's creditworthiness or to a tenant's conduct?

Obviously these services operate in the shadows. As a result, they can and do spread false and innacurate information without providing a tenant the right to review the report. This is something even the big Credit Reporting Agencies cannot do.

In addition to the simple claims of libel, or libelous use, there are federal restrictions on such databases. The very fact that they operate in the 'underground' suggests that they are not legitimate (and in fact may serve as a violation of the federal law each time they quietly transmit information about a tenant.)

Let's face it, if it was legit information, TRW, Equifax, et. would be more than happy to provide the reports.

I want any information about these blacklists in NYC or nationally.

Ronin

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name