Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I think I'm being overcharged?

Posted by Ace on April 17, 2001 at 12:51:16:

In Reply to: I think I'm being overcharged? posted by adam on April 17, 2001 at 11:48:18:

Call DHCR right away and get a listing of the rental history. It should state what the previous rents were and what has been added on -- the vacancy rate (around 18 to 20%) as well as the regular percentage that's added when one signs a lease (currently 4% for one year, 6% for two years). If the roof of the building was replaced, the boiler replaced, -- all this could add up, but MCI's (major capital improvements) are currently at a 6 or 7% level for any given year. LL must've done building wide improvements as well as individual apartment improvements (individual renovating of an apartment is, I believe, a higher and separate percentage that can be added along with the MCI percentage too) in order for LL to get the jump in rent done. Anything that the DHCR list does not have, I would inquire of the LL to fill in the blanks.

: I recently signed a lease in a rent stabilized apartment. The monthly rent is $1695. I just received information that the previous tenants were paying $450. Minor renovations were done to the apartment but nothing major. The wiring is faulty and the place is basically a mess. Does this sound fishy? How do I take care of it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name