Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

No-Lease Questions / Landlord transferring apt. ownership

Posted by CKS on April 16, 2001 at 11:21:05:

I am currently living in a studio apt. in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Initially, when moving in to the space in 5/98, the LL signed a year lease which expired in 5/99. After the lease expired, the LL did not want to renew the lease, and instead wanted to continue month to month, which I have been doing until now.

I have a copy of the original lease I signed with him when getting the apt, as well as the reciepts of every money order paid for rent given to him since my occupancy. Now, the landlord is transferring ownership of the building to his ex-wife, and I want to protect myself. How can I lock her into signing a lease? When originally signing the lease from 5/98-5/99, I gave the LL two-months security, got a receipt for it. I still have a copy of the original lease agreement, and he has not refunded the deposit I gave him on the original lease, though he opted not to renew the lease. I engaged him six months ago about the status of the deposit, whether it was invested in a interest-bearing account or not. It isn't. Is the he liable?

The building is a three-story, 5-unit.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name