Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord refuses to exterminate

Posted by Ace on April 11, 2001 at 14:04:35:

In Reply to: Landlord refuses to exterminate posted by Whitney on April 10, 2001 at 21:48:47:

How about taking some pictures that have the date and time stamped on them and send a copy of them with a certified letter to the landlord? Or save some of the "mess" that you've been dealt with and let him come see it. Videotaping is also good, use the zoom in feature to capture details -- make sure the video is time and date stamped too. Make copies of everything before sending anything to LL. If no response after 10 days, call DHCR, ask for a form for reduction of building-wide service and fill it out, include copies of all your documentation, including a copy of the letter to LL, and send certified or Federal Express (receipt of signature). Keep copies of everything safe in a bank safety deposit box for future reference.

: I believe the building I live in is infested with termites and my LL refuses to call a professional exterminator. I live in Queens & have a 2 year lease and moving is not an option. My lease has a rider that says I am responsible to exterminate my apartment. Fine. I called several exterminators, but since they think they are termites -they won't help me - they need the LL's permission to do an inspection.

: These bugs or termites come in swarms of thousands outside my front door & then come under the door into my apartment. It takes several hours to kill/deal with them & clean up the mess. I have spent 2 Saturday evenings duct taped in my own apartment!

: My LL said it is not his problem, but is willing to pay 1/2 or 1/3 (depending on the day) of an exterminator, but will not call them. Again, when I descibe the bugs to the exterminators over the phone they say they are termites & need LL's permission. Catch 22. LL says he doesn't see any bugs & since they are now in my apartment - it is my problem. LL thinks exterminators are scam artists & they are saying "termites" to scare me. I have done some research on termites & although I am no entomologist - I am pretty sure they are termites. I am convinced LL is an idiot.

: I appreciate any advice on who I should contact, etc... Again, moving is not an option. Thank you! :)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name