Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Renewing lease with evil roommate and not with me; how long do I have?

Posted by you on April 10, 2001 at 23:08:21:

In Reply to: Renewing lease with evil roommate and not with me; how long do I have? posted by sheababylv on April 10, 2001 at 16:53:17:

The questions you are asking are fair enough. BUT, you need to focus on -->YOUR<-- housing needs at this point, and forget about "settling a score" with your roommates or landlord.

The best advice anyone could give you is to aggressively seek out alternate housing, preferrably an apartment leased to your name only. You really don't want to stay where you are while simultaneously incurring the wrath of your roommates and landlord, no matter what the letter of the law is. Common sense and your best interest are what is important here.

Also realize that the landlord owns the building and can pretty much rent to whomever he wants. He does not need to tell you his reasons for who he chooses to rent to. Proving unlawful discrimination would be all but hopeless in your case, especially given the fact that he did indeed rent to you !

Time to part ways and move on ...

: OK, I wrote last month about my evil roommate trying to kick me out and put her sister on the lease. Well, she has succeeded.

: To recap, I live in a non-stabilized, Brooklyn brownstone. The lease is up May 1st and the property manager just told me on April 6 by phone that the landlord wants to rent to my roommate and her sister and not me and my brother. The property mgr acted like I was asking for something unreasonable when I told him he had to put in writing that my lease was not being renewed. My question is: Do I have only 30 days (until May 6) after the date I was notified that my lease isn't being renewed, or can I stay a full extra month (until June 1) since I wasn't given 30 days notice? Also, what if he never sends me anything in writing? Does that mean that the phone notification is null and void? This guy is incompetent and acts like he just started dealing with rentals the day I walked into his office.

: Also, I understand that no reason has to be given when you are denied a lease, but what if discrimination is suspected? For instance, say Tenants A and B have a combined salary of about $93,000 and good credit, while Tenants C and D have a combined salary of about $72,000 and good credit, and Tenants C and D are obviously from the same country as the landlord. Tenants C and D are chosen to rent the property and no reason is given. Can a reason be requested?

: Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name