Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

company went bankrupt, lost job, trying to terminate lease, landlords unwilling to mitigate

Posted by Ruba Qashu on April 06, 2001 at 16:39:07:

I lost a job due to my company's bankruptcy. I was unable to gain alternate employment, so I gave notice and moved out 10 days early so that my landlord could re-rent the apartment. I am broke. The apartment is located in West Hollywood California - rent control has recently been lifted there. The building has over 100 units, and there is a written lease. I only lived in the apartment for 8 months. It was rented to me for 1100, the same amount that the person who lived in it before me was paying (he had been living there 2 years). I found 3 people who definitely would take the apartment for 1100 and there was overwhelming interest from at least 15 others. However, I was shocked to learn that management was asking 1500. It will be impossible to rent- especially in light of the current economy. The last word is that management has come down to 1450.

There are other factors about which I didn't really want to elaborate. But I lived in the building 4 months prior to taking the new apartment. I decided to transfer apartments, and I found out after I moved in that the term of my lease would be renewed. I was then harassed and forced to sign the new lease, under duress, or face eviction.

What are my legal rights?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name