Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: DHCR filings not sent to tenants

Posted by Chelsea on April 06, 2001 at 12:24:08:

In Reply to: DHCR filings not sent to tenants posted by brenda on April 06, 2001 at 10:41:01:

Yes, that happened to me. I filed an overcharge in October 1996. Six months or so later, on the advice of my DHCR borough office, I wrote a letter to DHCR asking for a copy of my landlord's response. No answer.

When my lease expired two years later and DHCR had not ruled on my case, I hired a lawyer and went to Housing Court. During the preliminaries to trial, my landlord produced a letter and financial information that he had submitted to DHCR early in 1997 but that had never been provided to me.

Luckily for me, DHCR never ruled on my case and I eventually withdrew it. You didn't say what kind of proceeding yours was, but it definitely seems grounds to object to the ruling.

That's DCHR -- unclear procedures carried out in the dark.

: I was wondering if anybody out there was experiencing a problem I just encountered in my long-running DHCR dispute with my landlord--landlord filings not sent to the tenant.
: This has happened to me a couple of times, most recently a filing that was the basis of a completely idiotic decision by the DHCR. The DHCR rendered its decision within a month of the landlord filing, which I only know about because it was mentioned in the decision.
: I have asked the DHCR to "reconsider" its decision because of this irregularity, though I doubt that will work.
: Is there anything else I should be doing? Any DHCR official I should be complaining to? Is there any way I can get ahold of the document referenced in the decision short of a time-consuming and expensive FOI request? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name