Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LL ENTERING APARTMENT

Posted by Ace on April 03, 2001 at 16:47:31:

In Reply to: LL ENTERING APARTMENT posted by MARIANNE on April 03, 2001 at 15:28:00:

hello --

as a month to month tenant, the landlord has to give 30 day notice to evict and at LL's discretion, no reason needed. Here's the main question: are you located in New York City or New York State?

In New York City there is the "Owner's Right to Access" law -- (NYC Admin. Code Section 27-2008), which prohibits tenants from refusing to permit owner, owner's agent or employee to enter tenant's rental until for the purpose of:

-- responding to emergencies
-- making repairs or improvements required by law or code, and
-- inspecting rental unit to determine if it complies with applicable laws and codes (usually done once a year by a LL).

: I HAVE A MONTH TO MONTH LEASE. LL IS TRYING TO SELL THE HOUSE. I HAVE BEEN VERY ACCOMIDATING IN ALLOWING MY LL SHOW MY APT. FROM MON-FRI AFTER 7:00PM & SAT & SUN BEFORE 12:00PM. ANY OTHER TIME I AM WORKING. SINCE I WAS UNABLE TO SHOW MY APT THIS PAST SUN BETWEEN 1:00-3:00 MY LL CALLED TO TELL ME TO START LOOKING FOR ANOTHER APT BECAUSE I AM NEVER HOME TO SHOW IT. THEN HE PROCEEDED TO TELL ME THAT HE IS TAKING THE LIBERY TO SHOW THE APT. ONLY WHEN IT IS CONVENIENT FOR HIM WHETHER I AM HOME OR NOT. CAN HE ENTER MY APT. WHENEVER HE WANTS TO? DONT I HAVE A RIGHT TO PRIVACY? I SPOKE TO A LAWYER WHO STATED THAT THE LL CANNOT JUST COME IN WHENEVER HE WANTS & ANOTHER LAWYER SAID I HAVE TO BE ACCOMADATING EVEN DURING WORKING HOURS. I AM REALLY NOT SURE WHAT TO DO. I DO NOT WANT ANYONE IN MY APT WHEN I AM NOT THERE...AND BY THE WAY, I JUST MOVED IN ON 1/1/01 & FOUND OUT THEY WERE TRYING TO SELL ON 1/12/01. MY STUFF IS ALL OVER THE PLACE. HOW CAN I LET STRANGERS IN? HELP ME

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name